Tonight, your New Jersey Nets take on the Sacramento Kings. I will post my thoughts after each quarter.
- Tyreke Evans has missed the last few games due to injury, but he is starting tonight. As a result, former Nets not-so-great Travis Outlaw has been benched. This is bad news for the Nets because they have no one to match Evans’ athleticism on offense.
- The good news is that Jordan Williams is playing tonight. As a result, the Nets do not need to rely solely on Johan Petro to contain DeMarcus Cousins.
- Midway through the first quarter, the Kings are already leading by 9. DeMarcus Cousins, Marcus Thornton, and Tyreke Evans are beating the Nets. Very predictable.
- There have been some terrible defensive miscues by both teams. Inexcusable transition opportunities, poor rebounding, and overall porous defense are the themes so far.
- Anthony Morrow just hit a three. He hasn’t done enough of this recently.
- Wow! So many points! The Kings lead 35-31 at the end of the first quarter.
- Deron Williams has 7 points and 6 assists already! He has given Jordan Williams chances to score.
- The Nets (Gerald Wallace in particular) are taking advantage of sloppy play by the Kings. 9 minutes into the second, the Nets have their first lead of the game.
- Gerald Wallace has scored on what feels like a ton of lay-ups – mainly in transition. He has 9 points.
- Jason Thompson just threw an elbow at DeShawn Stevenson. I do not believe they will start a brawl.
- 6-0 run for the Kings. Why do I feel like this is entirely Sundiata Gaines’ and Johan Petro’s faults? They really should never be on the court together, but injuries have forced this to happen.
- There is very little defense in this game.
- OHHH my god. Johan Petro has 4 assists.
- And he has 8 points!! Are we about to see a double double tonight from Petro? I really doubt it. DeMarcus Cousins is simply not playing defense.
- Wow. No defense. The Nets are shooting 57% from the field. The Kings are young and undisciplined.
- Kris Humphries has 8 points and 6 rebounds. An above average performance for the Hump. Morrow has knocked down 3 threes.
- It’s halftime and the Nets lead 59-56. SO many points!
- MarShon Brooks is having yet another poor game. I am concerned.
- For the Nets, the scoring is very balanced and Kris Humphries leads the Nets with 11 points and 7 rebounds. Deron Williams has 9 assists already! As a team, the Nets have committed an overwhelming 12 turnovers and are shooting 57% from the field.
- For the Kings, DeMarcus Cousins has 14 points but only 4 rebounds. Tyreke Evans has 11. The Kings as a team only have 11 assists, 2 more than Deron Williams alone. They somehow trail the Nets in rebounds, but are scoring 52% from the field.
- The Nets have opened the third quarter on a 6-0 run. DeMarcus Cousins has 14 points, but the Nets are scoring at will.
- OHHHHHHH my god. Petro has 12 points and its only the 3rd quarter. No defense at all whatsoever. DeMarcus Cousins, I am shocked.
- Travis Outlaw is in the game! Everyone boo, please.
- The Nets led by 12 at one point this quarter. They now lead by 7 after Outlaw hit an open Petro-range shot.
- Morrow is getting so many open shots. He now leads the Nets with 15 points on 5-10 shooting from beyond the 3 point arc.
- The man getting the ball to Morrow is Deron Williams. He now has 13 assists and it’s only the third quarter.
- WOW! Morrow hit a 3, was fouled in the act, and knocked down the free throw. He adds to his ridiculously high count of 4 point plays this season. He has 19 points already tonight.
- The Nets had a great quarter. They now lead by 15, 91-76, and are on track to get their first 3 game winning streak of the season.
- If only Petro didn’t get in foul trouble…he could have a chance at a triple double!
- The Kings broadcasters just said something worthwhile. DeMarcus Cousins has apparently played poorly on the back end of back to back games this season. Last night, the Kings played the Utah Jazz. Cousins is clearly tired. Cousins still hasn’t scored in the second half.
- I haven’t mentioned ex-Net Terrence Williams yet tonight. Now I have, even though he has not done anything to get my attention tonight, except play sloppy basketball.
- The Nets have entered crunch time with a 15 point lead. My live updates end here. I will write about the last 5 minutes of the game in my game recap.