Nets CEO Brett Yormark once said that constructing the Barclays Center the greatest achievement of his career. Today, he gave more enthusiastic quotes to the NYDN’s Stefan Bondy. Here they are:
- I’ve been telling the story of Brooklyn for eight years. And I convinced myself it was a story that was too good not to be told for real. Stories like this ultimately happen. What enabled this project to endure was that it was meant to be. It was too good not to be told.
- I guess it hit me for the first time, ‘We’re here. We almost completed the journey.’ You work so hard at things, you work so hard and fast, you almost lose sight of it from time to time.
- I needed that moment. It kind of crystallized things for me. Also, I used that moment to reflect. And I reflected on some of those challenges moments in Jersey, some of the phone calls with Bruce (Ratner) where we knew we had a daunting task in front of us. But we found a will and a way.
- We’re not just part of the conversation, we are the conversation.
- I think the moment’s even bigger than I expected. I think this is so big that many of us won’t have a moment like this again.
Yormark also assured Bondy that the arena will be 100% complete by September 28th, when Jay-Z has his concert. However, Norman Oder of AtlanticYardsReport.com denied this: “Um, the arena won’t be 100 percent complete. They couldn’t even get a Temporary Certificate of Occupancy last week to include the retail outlets. Punch list work will continue on non-event days, according to a 9/7/12 report from the construction monitor to the bondholders, and the final completion is 4/30/13.”
The arena will definitely be a sight to behold and I am very excited to go there.