The much-anticipated ribbon-cutting at the Barclays Center in Brooklyn took place Friday morning, with many special guests and press on hand. Among those in attendance were Nets owner Mikhail Prokhorov, New York City mayor Michael Bloomberg, and Nets center Brook Lopez. This article will serve as a picture-tour of the new arena from various twitter accounts throughout the morning.
- The oculus at Barclays Center. It looks very futuristic as expected.
- This is a picture of all the media in attendance for the event. There was another photo of the line of media waiting outside the Barclays Center this morning. People are clearly interested in the building.
- The concourse at Barclays Center. It is very wide and spacious, especially compared to Madison Square Garden as well as the Nets home for many years in New Jersey, the Izod Center. It is also well lit from outside the arena, which will be very nice for day games.
- One of the many concession stands at Barclays Center. As you can see, it definitely has a “Brooklyn” feel.
- The back of Brook Lopez’s head during the ribbon-cutting ceremony. They should have used those big ribbon-cutting scissors to give him a haircut.
- The scoreboard. It looks good and modern, although it is not spectacularly large.
- Michael Bloomberg giving a speech at the ribbon-cutting ceremony. He is happy that New York City now has two basketball teams and he is a supporter of the Nets.
- Mikhail Prokhorov talking to the future host of Barclays Center TV. He had many interesting comments today which I will break down in a future article.
- The court at Barclays Center. I think it looks very good and sharp.